Sydney’s cosmopolitan alter ego
Eastside is Sydney’s cosmopolitan alter ego just a stone’s throw from the CBD, nestled within sprawling parklands, sprinkled with heritage architecture and home to some of the city’s best food, drink, late night entertainment and retail.
Spreading across Woolloomooloo, Potts Point, Kings Cross, Darlinghurst and Surry Hills and hosting Sydney’s famous Golden and Glittering Miles, Eastside is a melting pot of people, arts and culture: fiercely independent, eclectic, creative and queer! A handful of micro-precincts reside, each with their own style and specialities, easily accessed and flowing effortlessly into each other, beckoning you to create your own adventure.
Independent small businesses, creatives and co-work hubs nestle in the nooks and crannies; from the restaurants and cafes of Surry Hills to design and fashion emporia in Potts Point, there are many ways to while away many days. There’s also the gritty, and some would say a little bit naughty, Darlinghurst in between to flesh out your experience.
- Oxford St + The Rainbow Precinct : Oxford St + the Rainbow Precinct is at the heart of Sydney’s LGBTQIA+ scene, with countless bars, clubs and retailers catering to the community and beyond. It’s the route of the annual Mardi Gras Parade and the spiritual heart of queer Australia. On any night of the week, entertainment can be found on Oxford St from drag shows to techno beats and disco tunes. Good, fast food, drag brunch and long lunches. Cafe society and small bars beckon.
- Hollywood Quarter : Experience the ultimate thrill of freefall at over 200km/hr for up to an insane 60 seconds, and then float under canopy for 5-7 minutes soaking up the spectacular views from above.
- Stanley Street : Stanley Street is a foodie haven with a multitude of Italian, Asian and fusion restaurants to choose from – from papadum to pasta, sushi to sangria – grab an outside table and watch the world go by. Located near Hyde Park and the newly renovated Australian Museum, the restaurants and bars of Stanley St jostle together in old Sydney terraces, many with outdoor balconies and al-fresco dining options.
- Potts Point : The El Alamein Fountain is where Macleay St and the “Paris end” of Potts Point begins. Winding down towards Woolloomooloo this is the place for fine dining and bustling bars surrounded by highly curated retail, high fashion, art and design. Stroll the pretty tree-lined streets with charming Victorian and Edwardian terrace houses mixed with Art Deco apartments and newer hi-rises. Buy local fashion, international design pieces, vintage styles. Linger over a coffee or a cocktail.
- Surry Hills : Surry Hills, known for its relaxed vibe and trendy atmosphere, will satisfy your taste buds and quench your thirst. You’ll find fabulous eateries, charming cafes, and cozy bars and pubs all within a few blocks. Plus, there’s plenty of designer shops to spark your curiosity. It also boasts a modern library + community space and tiny pocket parks to take in the sunshine. Artisan bakers, seasonal inspired restaurants, fashion and designers stores, plus a clutch of the best pubs in town live here!