The Australian Ballet – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Moving effortlessly between the great classical works and the best of contemporary dance, including new commissions from both home and abroad.
The Australian Ballet offers the nation transformative experiences through the power of our performances and our example of excellence.
- Masterfully translated from Lewis Carroll’s beloved book, Wheeldon brings the humour and eccentricities of the original story to the ballet stage in a fantastical tale suitable for the whole family.
- Tony Award-winning designer Bob Crowley has blended high-tech wizardry and traditional stage craft, weaving magic through puppetry and eye-catching design elements.
- Composer Joby Talbot captures Wonderland’s moods in an evocative score alive with Cheshire purrs and ticking clocks. The score is performed live by Orchestra Victoria.
- The Australian Ballet’s production of Alice won the 2018 Helpmann Award for Best Ballet and Best Female Dancer (Ako Kondo), and was nominated in three other categories, including Best Choreography, Best Scenic Design and Best Male Dancer.
- Hedgehogs, flamingoes, pigs, frogs, a Dormouse, a White Rabbit, and of course, a widely smiling Cheshire Cat – the animal characters of Carroll’s tale are brought to adorable (or not so adorable) life by ingenious combinations of costumes, masks, projections and puppetry.